They say that the two happiest days in a man’s life are, the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it. While this might ring true for some, for most boaties, this is simply not true, and the ones I know, will do almost anything to look after their boat.
If you are like me, and you’re a fair weather fisherman, then storing your boat over the winter months just makes a lot of sense. After all, there is no need for your baby to block the driveway, when she could be safely looked after by a professional self storage facility – away from the elements, and away from risk.
Storing your boat in Wollongong is in itself not without perils, and you will need to make sure that you store your boat in the correct manner; making sure she will be ready to go when you pick her up.
At Wollongong Mini Storage, we are happy to offer assistance in storing your boat in Wollongong, and we recommend you start following our 6 steps to happy storing.
6 Steps to happy storage
- Before you store, take one last trip, and list everything on board or below, that might need some attention. And use the winter months to fix your boat; getting her ship shape. This way, when spring comes along, she is ready to go, and you aren’t running around after parts.
- Fix it, clean it and let her dry out, then keep her well ventilated.
- Fill her up, add a fuel stabiliser to avoid condensation, and run engine for a few minutes, making sure that it covers the whole system. This is also a good time to change oil and filters.
- Remove battery and store battery and electronics in a dry place.
- Use a reputable storage facility, you want to use a self storage facility that allows you access to your boat, so that you can conduct running repairs over the winter months, plus you want your pride and joy to be safe and secure.
- If the boat is on a trailer, then clean trailer of any saltwater, and make sure it is nice and dry before storing. Inflate tyres, and roll regularly to avoid flat spotting.
There are additional storage tips you can follow, but might be too much for the average boatie.
- Remove the drive belts
- Grease the steering mechanism
- If you have an inboard engine, seal the exhaust port to avoid pests entering
- Remove upholstery, or any material that might get mouldy
- Wash and wax
- Lock up trailer wheels.
The greatest benefit of following our advice might not be the preservation of your boat, but rather the pleasure in knowing, that when your mates are out getting their boats seaworthy in spring, you are already out on the water, and reeling in the big ones.
Wollongong Mini Storage offers secure long, medium and short term vehicle storage. We are the number one destination for storing your boat in Wollongong. Call us today at (02) 4257 4400, and we’ll book in your car, trailer, boat or caravan.